Thursday, November 27, 2008

Giving Thanks

It's 6 am and I'm the only one up. The house is quiet, and many that I hold dear are under my roof. Al, Christian and Nicholas are sleeping safely upstairs, and Alyssa, Andy, and Logan are cozy in the basement. My dad and Geneva are down the street, and Andy's family is on the way. The smell of my daddy's ham is wafting through the air, fresh sweet bread is rising on the stove, and in the next few hours we will gather together. Not all of my loved ones are here in my house, but they are always in my heart. There is no way to express all that I am thankful for this year, but I will try.

First and foremost I am thankful that we can all gather here today. How much do we all take for granted our health and relative prosperity. The news has carried grim pictures of families that have lost everything, and I see human lives end on a daily basis. I know just how lucky we are that we all have been allowed one more year together.

Next, I would be remiss if I did not joyously proclaim my thankfulness for a new life. I know it may sound sappy, but becoming a grandmother has really changed my perspective on a lot of things this year. Without getting into too much detail, Alyssa's pregnancy and Logan's arrival are what my focus has been on in 2008, and it has forced me to make some very important (and some uncomfortable) changes that have put me on a path that I feel I was more destined to travel. Becoming a mother was life altering, but becoming a grandmother has been life settling. I am deeply in love with my beautiful grandson, and I am so thankful to God for him, and also for his very successful medical treatment.

Last, I am thankful for good friends and a great family. We all may go through a bit of dysfunction at times, but when times are really tough, you always know exactly who has your back. This year I have been blessed not only with my family and old friends, but also with the strengthening of new relationships. We have gone through a tough trial of faith and belief, but we came through it with a much deeper understanding of what God really wants for us. I love my little "group" and I feel honored to know all of you.

To everyone, thank you for being a part of my life. I love and cherish each and every one of you in a unique and personal way. No matter how cliche' it may sound, stop and thank God for all that he has given you. Remember that even in the dark there is light and goodness if you only look.

Logan meeting his GREAT Grandpa for the very first time.

Logan and Mawmaw Neevie.

Logan's new feet.

Ponseti bar.


2 comments:

Heather said...

Your post made me cry. We sure missed you terribly this Thanksgiving. I love you so much and am so grateful for the opportunity we had to get so close over the past 2 1/2 years. I cannot thank you enough for all you did for the kids and I while we were there.

Melissa said...

Lots of beautiful thankful thoughts. And Logan's feet look good! What a blessing that is! Oh and can I mention -- 12-0 as an additional thankful???