Thursday, November 6, 2008

Exhausting Week!

What a week this has been. I worked 12 hour shifts at the hospital Sunday and Tuesday, then I got very little sleep due to the historical election, yeah! Wednesday morning I drove down to Kansas City for Logan's surgery, and this morning I feel whipped.

Logan checked in to Children's Mercy yesterday at 11:30 am for his surgery which was scheduled for 1:30 pm. He was admitted to the Same Day Surgery unit, and was really very good for a baby who couldn't eat after 9:00 am. He seemed to know that crying would be futile, so he slept in the arms of his mother and two grandmothers until they came and took him back at 2:3o pm. (Contrary to popular belief, airports do not have the worst delays.)

Alyssa, Shirley and I pulled Logan's wagon down to the surgery waiting area, and got some lunch while we waited for Dr. Sinclair to complete the surgery.

Dr. Sinclair came down at about 3:20 pm and told Alyssa the surgery had gone well. He made tiny incisions over the Achilles area and clipped those tendons to lengthen them. Logan is to come back on the 24th for his cast removal. Dr. Sinclair also told Alyssa that while Logan was in surgery, they measured him for his orthopedic shoes, and that he'll start wearing them on the 24th after he gets his casts off. So, Logan will be completely out of casts by Thanksgiving. We are so excited, and Alyssa can't wait to give him a real bath.

Alyssa, Shirley and I went to the PACU (post anesthesia care unit) to be with Logan. He was very groggy, and hoarse from the intubation. Alyssa tried to give him his bottle that she had pumped, but he really just wanted her and his pacifier.

We left the hospital at 5:00 pm, just in time for KC rush hour traffic. YUK! It took 40 minutes to get back to Shirley's which should have taken about 20 minutes. Chris (Andy's brother) came over for dinner, and we all had a nice visit.

Last night was pretty rough. Logan was very fussy when we first got back to Shirley's house. I gave him some Tylenol, Alyssa nursed him, and we all took turns holding him. He felt better after that, but he woke up almost every hour last night to nurse. I finally got up at 4:30 am with him so Alyssa could get a little sleep. I gave him a bottle of Pedialyte and some more Tylenol, and then I just held him for a couple of hours (rough I know). Alyssa nursed him again at 6:30 am and they've both been sleeping since.

Today, I'll be driving back to Omaha just in time for a 12 hour shift tomorrow. Saturday, I'm sleeping in.

No comments: