Friday, August 28, 2009

Fast Food Crutch

Day 4 and I feel a slight sense of accomplishment. I am doing pretty well when I plan my day, but there are still times I keep falling back on my fast food crutch. It isn't all bad.

On Wednesday I had forgotten part of my lunch so I decided to "run out and grab a little something." Normally that would have been the perfect set-up for failure, but I really looked at all of my options before I ate. I REALLY wanted a cheeseburger, so I opted for two junior cheeseburgers with mustard and ketchup instead of mayo. Not the healthiest choice in the world, but I adjusted my calories for the day and made sure I stayed within my zones (albeit at the higher end).

Yesterday I was teaching at a remote site so I didn't really have my normal office stash to fall back on. I went back to Wendy's but got the grilled chicken sandwich with a baked potato, reduced fat sour cream, and smart spread. It satisfied my craving for junk, but in a healthier way than the double cheeseburger with fries.

Today, I got off at lunch, and decided to run through the drive-thru on my way home. I planned it out before I left and found out exactly how many calories, carbs, and fats were in grilled chicken tacos from Taco Bell. Not to shabby.

I know I need to wean myself off of the fast food, and I am slowly doing that. However, I am stopping and thinking about what I buy, and trying to make smarter choices. Just out of curiosity, I charted an old "normal" day, and I was shocked. Even without giving up fast food completely, I have cut my calories and fat in HALF. Yipee!

I need to change my lifestyle and not diet, so I'm not going to be too hard on myself for not cutting out everything. You just can't live like that. I think that as long as you plan your day, and alter your eating to allow for those meals, you can find a balance between the foods you love and those that love you back.

No comments: